If you have recently purchased a Chromebook, you would have noticed that the Chromebook’s desktop is different from the other OS. Unlike a Windows or a Mac OS laptop/computer, the Chromebook does not allow you to paste any documents or application shortcuts on its desktop. Instead, it gives you just a clear view of the wallpaper.
Given that, the wallpaper becomes vital for you. You would want the wallpaper worth looking at every time you would power on your Chromebook. Thankfully, like any other OS systems, Chromebooks also offers you plenty of wallpaper options for aesthetic pleasure and personal customization. Here, we walk you through the steps of changing the Chromebook’s wallpaper from various sources.
Steps to Change the Chromebook’s Wallpaper from the Wallpaper Picker
By default, Google provides you tons of wallpaper options to choose from. You can easily select one and make it the wallpaper of your Chromebook. To do so:
- Turn in your Chromebook.
- Right-click on the desktop or long-press on a touchscreen Chromebook or tablet.
- From the Context Menu, click on Change Desktop Background or Set Wallpaper.
- Now browse and select a category from the left side menu of the Wallpaper picker.
- Tap the desired wallpaper from the right-hand pane to set it as your new wallpaper.
- If you want a topic wallpaper to change daily, select Daily Refresh. It is usually the top-most item in most sections of the Wallpaper Chooser.
- For formatting the wallpaper, you can click either the Center Cropped or Center formatting options.
- Close the Wallpaper Picker window and enjoy your newly set wallpaper.
To reach the Wallpaper Picker Menu, you can also click the Accounts or Launcher icon at the bottom right corner. Click on Settings and then Wallpaper. The rest of the steps remain the same.
Steps to Change the Chromebook Wallpaper from the Files app.
If you do not like any wallpaper from Google’s wallpaper options but would like your own, you can do so easily. For it, you can surf the internet or get any of your personal pictures in the Downloads folder or your attached Google Drive Storage.
- Foremost, turn on your Chromebook.
- Right-click on the desktop and click on the Set Wallpaper option.
- Click on My Images on the left pane of the new window.
- The right pane will now show all the images you have downloaded and saved in your Google Drive or Chromebook.
- Right-click on the image that you like and click on set as wallpaper. Here also, you can select the Center Cropped or Center formatting option.
- Close the window to view your new wallpaper.
Alternatively, you can open the Files app (blue circle with white folder) to view all downloaded images in your Chromebook or attached Google Drive or any other USB drive or SD card.
Select an image that is compatible with your Chromebook. Right-click on the image and click on Set as Wallpaper.
Steps to Sync the Wallpaper Across Chromebook Devices
Not many are aware, but you can sync your chosen wallpaper across multiple Chrome OS devices if you own them. This way, you will always have your wallpaper whenever you log into any Chromebook device via your Google account. For it:
- Foremost, click on the Accounts/Time section located at the bottom right corner of your turned Chromebook.
- Click on the gear icon to open the Settings Menu.
- Click on the People section.
- Now click on Sync and Google Services.
- Select Manage Sync.
- You can select options here if you desire customized syncing. Else you can click on Sync Everything. You are done!
Few Facts About Chromebook’s Wallpaper
There are a few things that you must keep in mind while selecting the wallpaper of your choice.
- Always select high-quality wallpapers or hi-resolution photos for wallpapers. Low-quality images look broken and contrite when stretched across the screen.
- The Chrome OS only supports PNG and JPG formats of images. Hence, any image that you select must always be in either of these two formats. You will face trouble with the image in any other format.
- Try to avoid the busy desktop background as it makes it difficult for you to view the Chrome OS application shelf.
- In case you are using a school Chromebook or a ‘managed’ device, you will not be able to change the desktop wallpaper. You can only do so if the administrator grants the permission.
We now hope that you know all about Chromebook wallpapers and how to change it. Do let us know how it went for you and share this writeup with your friends and family so that they could do it as effortlessly as you!