With Smart TVs ruling the roost, most like to connect the Chromebook to their TV wirelessly. The feature is useful when you would like to share a presentation, a slideshow of pictures, etc. for business or personal purposes.
You can do this easily, provided you have an HDMI port on your Chromebook and have an HDMI cable as well. Few may require an adapter as well. Most Chromebooks have a full-size HDMI out port, but we do have a few oddballs like the Samsung Exynos Chromebook which flaunts only a Micro-USB port.
Also, it might be possible that the HDMI port on the Chromebook is not functioning correctly. But the good news is that you can still mirror the screen of the Chromebook on your Smart TV without using the HDMI port.
The only requirement for the setup is the right hardware. In this writeup, we would tell you all about it and how to connect the Chromebook to your TV wirelessly.
- 1 Connect Chromebook to Wireless TV :Requirements
- 2 Steps to Connect Chromebook Wirelessly via the HDMI port
- 3 Steps to Connect When the Chromebook lacks the HDMI OUT Port
- 4 Troubleshooting Chromebook Wireless Connection
Connect Chromebook to Wireless TV :Requirements
You can connect your Chromebook to all those TVs which have an ‘HDMI IN’ port. It should not be an issue as most modern TVs come with both HDMI IN and OUT ports. The Chromebook should preferably have an ‘HDMI OUT’ port. The other requirements are a Chromecast dongle and a home network with Wi-Fi.
Steps to Connect Chromebook Wirelessly via the HDMI port
Now let’s get down the steps to connecting the Chromebook to the TV.
- First, turn on the TV and set the channels to HDMI. Most standard TVs have the HDMI channels as default. In that scenario, you need to choose the right port. Most TVs have two HDMI ports labeled as 1 and 2 You would need to identify the free port.
- Next, connect the Chromecast or the Android TV box to the HDMI port. Chromecast is the media streaming dongle devised by Google.
- Now turn on the Chromebook. Locate the Chromecast and click on the option, “Connect to your Chromecast.”
- Next, go to the Settings Menu and verify that ‘Mirror Internal Display’ is checked there. It would help in the proper mirroring of the Chromecast screen on the TV screen.
- Launch the Chrome browser in the Chromebook.
- Next, launch your media sites like YouTube or Netflix or any other website that you can use to test the wireless connectivity.
- Now click the three vertical dots at the right top corner of the Chrome browser and click on Cast.
- A pop-up window will open. Here, you will see all the available options for casting the Chromebook to the TV. Alternatively, you can also click on ‘Cast Devices Available’ that you can see at the lower right corner of the bottom bar.
- The list would most probably have only one active device. Select that device and proceed to the next step.
- Finally, click on the ‘Internal Display’ and then ‘Share.’ It will start mirroring the contents of the Chromebook on your TV.
- For sites like YouTube, you can mirror them at high quality by selecting the option, ‘Play on TV’ in the ‘YouTube’ video menu. Even Netflix has a similar option. You can select the ‘cast’ icon for better sound and audio.
Steps to Connect When the Chromebook lacks the HDMI OUT Port
Sometimes your Chromebook might lack an HDMI port of any sort. In that scenario, you can still connect wirelessly to your TV, but you would need an HDMI adapter. The adapter would be according to the port available on the Chromebook.
For instance, if you have the latest technology, USB Type-C port, you need to get a USB Type-C to HDMI adapter.
For a Micro-USB port, you would need a Micro-USB to HDMI adapter cable.
Once you get the right adapter and HDMI cable, plug the cable into the adapter first. Then, connect the adapter into the USB-C port of the Chromebook and the other end into the TV’s HDMI port.
The rest of the step remains the same, and your Chromebook will get connected.
Troubleshooting Chromebook Wireless Connection
You might face a few difficulties while setting up the wireless connection. Here, we walk through a few issues that you might encounter and their resolutions.
Nothing is displayed on the screen.
The issue might arise because of the multiple HDMI channels on the TV. You can try cycling through all the HDMI channels. With the right channel, the media on the Chromebook will start streaming.
The Chromecast connection is not detected.
For it, you need to check the Chromecast setup. Verify that it is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromebook, and it appears on the assigned TV with its assigned name. If the set-up is proper and it is still not detected, try resetting it. It should solve the problem.
Also, verify if you are using the right band on the router. Chromecasts work with 2.4GHZ (801.11 b/g/n) and 5GHZ networks. You can understand and verify this by contacting your router’s support line. If it is still not working, you can try restarting the Chromebook, Chromecast device, Wi-Fi router, and all other connected devices. It should resolve the problem.
If the problem is still not resolved, you would need to contact Google’s customer support.
By now, you should be able to connect your Chromecast to your TV effortlessly and enjoy it. Do get back to us for any queries or suggestions. Also, if you liked the resolution, do whisper about it and share it as much as you can.