Popularity of Minecraft : The world of gaming holds a special niche amongst internet users in today’s time. Ranging from a mere hobby to passion flowing within the blood, it is a world within itself and the developers keep coming up with more and more concepts to enhance its dynamism. Amidst this ocean is one drop named Minecraft, which has gained significant limelight in today’s time.
Combining both action and strategy, this game has the overall theme of collecting resources, utilizing them judiciously to build structures, and then protecting them from enemies.
Released on the platforms of Windows, OS X, Linux, Android, and iOS, our readers are now eager to learn if they can install and play it on Chromebook. Consider your wait to be over, as we have got it covered in this blog. :
Recommended : Different ways to obtain Netherite in Minecraft
Is it possible to Play Minecraft on Chromebook?
To answer this question explicitly, Minecraft has not been developed yet for Chrome OS of the Chromebook and so at first, it would seem that the game would not be supported by it. However, keeping in mind the language of Linux in which Chrome OS has been coded, now solutions have been developed to either run Minecraft directly on Chromebook or modify certain code lines to initiate the compatibility.
Direct method to Install Minecraft on Chromebook
With the recent models of Chromebook getting a good number of updates from Google like GPU acceleration and sensitivity bug resolution, it has become easy to install Minecraft directly in your Chromebook. Go for the following steps to get it done:
- First of all, ensure that you have activated the Beta version of Linux at your settings of the Chromebook.
- Visit the official version of Minecraft and download the .deb extension of the file which is generally supported in Debian and Ubuntu.
- Copy the file to the Linux section of your file manager.
- Double click on the file and then select the install option from the dialog box.
- The background process would get executed and thus the game gets installed eventually into the system.
- Go to App Launcher Linux Folder and there you would find the game is installed.
- Double click on it and then you would find it running without any glitch.
- Log in or create a new account. In the case of the older version, the new update would get installed automatically after login, and then you have to restart the game again.
Go to the settings and update the mouse sensitivity and other keyboard controls as per your comfort.
Get Minecraft on Old Chromebooks
In case if you are using the older models of Chromebook or are yet to receive the new updates, then you might face some error in the above-mentioned steps. But there is a solution to that also. Open the Terminal app from your App Drawer of the Chromebook and then run the below lines of code individually:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install default-jdk
This will install the Java Development Kit that would help in resolving the incompatibility issues. After the code gets executed, press Y to continue the installation and then follow the steps like the previous section from the File Manager.
Hence, we covered up our case on getting Minecraft installed in the Chromebook either directly or indirectly. If you have any queries, suggestions, or less complex methods in your mind, do let us know in the comments section.